The Karnataka government has decided to impose a night curfew between 9 pm and 6 am, starting Wednesday till 4 May to curb the spread of coronavirus.
What’s not allowed?
- Gyms, spas, bars, cinema halls and theatres have been ordered to remain shut.
- The administration has also decided to shut all educational institutions, including coaching classes, and shifted classes online.
- All social, political, sports, entertainment, academic, cultural, religious gatherings, other gatherings and large congregations are also prohibited.
- During night curfew, movement of people is strictly prohibited. The government has mandated that only essential staff/employees of IT and ITeS companies /organizations to work from office.
- Manufacturing units of non-essential commodities having onsite workers will not be allowed.
- Restaurants and eateries can provide takeaway services and home delivery.
- Movement of people via public transport (Private buses, trains, taxis) is also permitted in adherence with all Covid-19 safety protocols.
- Petrol pumps, LPG, CNG, petroleum and gas retail and storage outlets shall remain open.
- The number of people travelling in buses, maxi cabs, tempo travellers and metro shall be 50% of the seating capacity.
- Auto rickshaws and cabs can operate with maximum two passengers.
- All health services, veterinary hospitals and pharmacies, will remain fully functional outside containment zones.
- Groceries, fruits and vegetables shops, meat and fish, animal fodder, dairy and milk booths, pharmaceuticals, opticians, medicines and medical equipment, newspaper distribution will be open.
- All patients and their attendants requiring the emergency need for movement shall be allowed to move during the night curfew.
- All industries/companies which require operations at night shall be permitted to operate. Movement of employees of such organizations shall be allowed on producing valid ID card/authorization issued by their respective organization/institution.
- Delivery via e-commerce websites will also be permitted.
- Doctors, healthcare staff and journalists can move without restrictions after showing a valid ID proof.
- Private security services will be allowed to remain open.
- Manufacturing units of essential commodities can be open.
Rules for gatherings
- The government has allowed marriages to take place in adherence to all safety protocols with a maximum of 50 people.
- Funerals and last rites can be attended by a maximum of 20 people.
- Wholesale vegetable markets, fruit markets and flower markets are permitted to operate from open spaces or playgrounds strictly adhering to Covid-19 appropriate behavior. The shifting process shall be completed by 22 April.
If I am a government employee and/or involved in essential services, can I go to work?
Yes, employees of state/central government and their autonomous bodies involved in essential Covid-19 services can move unrestricted. Those who are part of industries and organisations requiring operations 24×7 and those deployed in essential services will be allowed to move and would have to provide valid IDs issued by their employer.
Who is permitted to step out during the weekend lockdown?
Telecom/internet service provider employees are allowed movement upon providing valid ID. Essential staff of IT/ITeS companies can work from office, others have to work from home. Those eligible for vaccination can move upon showing minimal proof. Those travelling from and to the state can avail public transport or private vehicles to move but must carry relevant proof such as tickets.
What if I have someone in critical care or need to visit the hospital?
Patients and their helpers requiring essential travel are allowed to move. Those who need medical assistance can also step out. In case of any genuine emergencies, individuals can step out to visit a doctor or hospitals. However, if a visit can be pushed for later, it is advisable to do so.
What if I have tickets booked during the weekend lockdown? Can I travel outside Karnataka?
Yes, there is no prohibition on taking flights.
Will grocery shops, milk supplies remain open during the weekend?
Neighborhood shops dealing with groceries will get a four-hour window on Saturdays and Sundays from 6 am to 10 am. Online delivery of essential items are permitted throughout the lockdown.
Will Swiggy and Amazon be allowed to deliver?
Yes, food deliveries have been permitted throughout the shutdown period. Restaurants will only be allowed takeaways.
Will liquor shops/ bars/ restaurants be open?
No, liquor shops, bars and restaurants will remain closed during the weekend lockdown. During the week, deliveries and takeaways will be allowed from these. Assembling, dining at these spaces is not permitted.
What about cinema halls, malls, gyms and swimming pools?
All cinema halls, shopping malls, gyms/yoga centres, spas, sports complexes, swimming pools amusement parks, stadia/playground, theatres, bars and auditoriums, assembly halls and similar places will remain shut for the four days of the weekend lockdown
Are wedding ceremonies and funerals allowed?
These are allowed with a maximum capacity of 50 people for weddings and 20 at funerals and crematoriums, respectively. Those present must strictly follow Covid-19 norms.
What about religious gatherings? Will temples, churches, mosques and other religious places be open?
Gatherings of any kind are prohibited, including for religious purposes. Only personnel involved in the service of the place of worship can perform their duties, without visitors.
Can construction activities be undertaken?
Construction work will not be allowed during the weekend shutdown.