Following the violent clashes in Ballari on January 1 that left one person dead, BJP MLA G. Janardhana Reddy has sought Z-category security, claiming there was a “pre-planned assassination attempt” against him. The Karnataka government is meanwhile considering handing over the investigation into the incident to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID), Home Minister G. Parameshwara said.
Mr. Janardhana Reddy has written separate letters to Chief Minister Siddaramaiah and Union Home Minister Amit Shah, demanding immediate high-level security for himself and his family. He alleged a complete breakdown of law and order during the clashes that erupted over the installation of a banner for the unveiling of a Valmiki statue. Mr. Janardhana Reddy, along with others, has been booked in connection with the incident.
In his letter to the Chief Minister dated Saturday (January 3), the former Minister said the attack on his residence in Ballari on New Year’s Day was “not a routine political clash but a planned and systematic attempt on his life,” allegedly carried out by Congress MLA Nara Bharath Reddy and his associates. He squarely blamed the local police for negligence and inaction, stating that the threat to his life had reached the “highest possible level”.
Detailing the events, Mr. Janardhana Reddy said that around 2 p.m., supporters of Mr. Bharath Reddy attempted to illegally put up banners within the fenced area of his house, but were pushed back after police intervention. He alleged that around 5.30 p.m., Bharath Reddy’s close aide Sathish Reddy, along with 40–50 armed men carrying bottles, stones, clubs, and lethal weapons, trespassed into his premises, sat inside the compound, and openly threatened him, while police allegedly remained passive.
According to him, the situation worsened around 7 p.m. when he returned from Gangavathi. He claimed that on the instructions of MLA Nara Bharath Reddy, Sathish Reddy and his men launched a direct attack, during which a private gunman fired about eight rounds targeting him and his residence.
“By God’s grace and sheer luck, I narrowly escaped death,” Mr. Janardhana Reddy said, adding that police failed to bring the situation under control. He further alleged that around 9 p.m., Mr. Bharath Reddy arrived near SP Circle with hundreds of supporters armed with clubs, stones, and petrol bombs, triggering what he described as a “terror-style attack”.
During the violence, indiscriminate firing by the gunman allegedly led to the death of Raja Shekhar, following which police fired tear gas, resorted to firing in the air and conducted a lathi charge to restore order.
In his representation, Mr. Janardhana Reddy demanded Z-category or equivalent security with immediate effect. He also sought registration of murder cases against Mr. Bharath Reddy, Mr. Sathish Reddy and their associates, and disciplinary action against police officers for dereliction of duty.
Calling the incident a sign of “Jungle Raj” in Karnataka, he warned that the State government would be “directly responsible” if any harm came to him or his family due to lack of security. In a separate letter to Union Home Minister Amit Shah, he sought central force security, alleging that the Congress-led State government had failed to protect him and that the attack was politically motivated, linked to his renewed statewide campaigning for the BJP.
After the clashes, a team of BJP leaders, including Union Minister V. Somanna, Leader of Opposition R. Ashoka and Chalavadi Narayanaswamy, announced plans to visit Mr. Janardhana Reddy at his Ballari residence.
Meanwhile, Home Minister G. Parameshwara said on Sunday (January 4) that the government was considering handing over the probe to the CID or possibly a Special Investigation Team (SIT). He said firearms belonging to private gunmen had been seized and a ballistic examination was underway to determine from which weapon the shots were fired.
“The ADGP has informed me that the firing did not come from police weapons,” Mr. Parameshwara said, adding that he had instructed Forensic Science Laboratory officials to expedite their report. He said he would discuss the matter with the Chief Minister before taking a final decision on transferring the case.
Responding to the BJP’s announcement of a march to Ballari, Mr. Parameshwara said taking action was more important than protests and assured strict action if the involvement of private gunmen was established. He added that complaints had been received from both sides and police would investigate whether firearms or hand grenades were used.
The Home Minister also remarked on the sequence of events, claiming there was no disturbance initially. “There was no commotion till Janardhana Reddy came to Ballari,” he said, adding that this aspect would also be investigated. Police have detained two private gunmen, Baljit Singh and Gurucharan Singh, in connection with the firing incident.


